01 Sep ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING IN-SERVICE TRAINEE
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is a public entity under the National Department of Science and Innovation (DSI). SANSA has a mandate to drive the promotion and use of space and cooperation in space-related activities. To achieve this mandate, the Agency fosters research in space science and technology, advances space engineering programmes, and supports the creation of an environment conducive to industrial development in space technologies within the framework of national government policy. More information about the organization can be found at http://www.sansa.org.za
SANSA is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining employees who are passionate about the success of the national space industry. Personal growth, which is one of our values, encourages employees to invest time in education and training through bursaries and training courses offered to them.
SANSA thrives on our employees’ creativity, expertise, ingenuity, and obsession with service excellence to succeed in a high-performing environment. If you aspire to the SANSA values of Service, Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Personal Growth, and Excellence, and living these in a fast-paced and innovative environment, then SANSA could be the place for you.
The following 24 months learning opportunity exists at the SANSA Hartebeesthoek site situated in Hartebeesthoek, Gauteng to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, and qualifications who puts the interests of the nation first, has a commercial mindset, thinks as our customers, knowledge-driven and people-centric.
ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING IN-SERVICE TRAINEE
The trainee in this role will be provided with practical Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience to complete and obtain the qualification. Will learn the satellite ground station operations which include rendering Earth–Observation satellite data acquisition services to SANSA’s Earth-Observation directorate, as well as providing Tracking, Telemetry, and Command (TT&C) support and satellite monitoring services to a host of international space agencies and satellite operators.
Key areas of learning will include but are not limited to:
- Operate, maintain and monitor antenna systems, Radio Frequency (RF), electronic, telecommunications and computer hardware or software system and equipment associated with satellite ground station operations.
- Participate in rendering specialized Tracking, Telemetry & Command (TT&C) support services to SLVs (Satellite launch vehicles) including launch, Transfer-orbit support (TOS), Launch and Early-orbit (LEOP), Emergency and In-orbit test (IOT) operations.
- Participate in the provision of preventative maintenance and tier level 1 corrective maintenance, to all SANSA-owned or Customer-furnished equipment and infrastructure.
- To participate in ad-hoc project work and the opportunity to work on, or add value to, existing or new projects, systems, and processes.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- S3/S4 Electronic Engineering qualification with good academic results specializing in Telecommunications.
- Final year of studies and in search of P1 and P2 in-service training to complete the qualification.
- Satellite Technology coursework.
- Understanding of microwave principles, applications, and telecommunications.
- Proficient in the English language and good communication skills.
- Computer skills.
- Must be able to use both hands and have good vision.
- We are in a remote area with no access to public transport, applicants need to have a valid driver’s license and reliable transport to and from work.
Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualifications, and citizenship checks, as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process. By applying for this vacancy, the candidates consent that SANSA can collect, process, and share their Personal Information (PI) for verification, assessments, and employment purposes only.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of the Employment Equity Act. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of SANSA and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given to candidates from under-represented designated groups (African females and males, and people with disabilities ).
Should you meet the above requirements, please upload your detailed CV, and apply on: Current Opportunities (mcidirecthire.com)
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, regard your application as unsuccessful. SANSA reserves the right not to make an appointment. If you have previously applied for this position, your application will be included in the process.
Closing Date: 12 September 2022