21 Jul CHIEF DATA SYSTEMS (PERMANENT)
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is a public entity under the National Department of Science and Innovation.
SANSA has a mandate to drive the promotion and use of space and cooperation in space-related activities. To achieve this mandate, the Agency fosters research in space science and technology, advances space engineering programmes, and supports the creation of an environment conducive to industrial development in space technologies within the framework of national government policy. More information about the organization can be found at http://www.sansa.org.za
SANSA is committed to attracting, developing and retaining employees who are passionate about the success of the national space industry. Personal growth, which is one of our values, encourages employees to invest time in education and training through bursaries and training courses offered to them.
SANSA thrives on our employees’ creativity, competencies and expertise, and on their ingenuity to succeed in a high performing environment. If you aspire to the SANSA values of Service, Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Personal Growth and Excellence, and living these in a fast paced and innovative environment, then SANSA could be the place for you.
The following opportunity exists in the Earth Observation Programme situated in Pretoria, Gauteng to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications.
CHIEF DATA SYSTEMS (PERMANENT)
Reporting to the Managing Director, the successful candidate will design and implement a high-performance computing environment and data management system aligned with global standards for Earth observation data that enables the storage, processing, discovery and access, archiving and curation of satellite data and derived information products acquired and developed by SANSA.
The ideal candidate must have the following qualifications and experience:
- A Master’s degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Systems or related qualification;
- 10 years as a Senior Systems Engineer, Software Engineer or similar experience;
- + 5 as head of technical systems team (management position); and
- Experience in agile methodology, DevOps and scrum will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of managing a hybrid computing environment, i.e. mixture of on-premise and cloud resources.
They must have skills and knowledge of:
- Knowledge of modern system design architectures (e.g. Containerisation and Orchestration (Kubernettes));
- Management of hybrid data center, managing a mixture of on-premise and cloud-based resources;
- Understanding of Computer networks and Security
- Hardware virtualization and clustering technologies
- Storage systems – short term and long term storage systems (backup technologies)
- Systems hosting infrastructure and life-cycle management
- Applications and intergration architectures
- Knowledge of Cloud computing architectures and services (Storage and Compute) and preferraby AWS;
- Experience leading a software development team;
- Experience with the SDLC (Software Development Life-Cycle) and modern ways of working, such as leading fast-paced teams by applying DevOps (XOps) and Agile Methodologies; and
- Ability to lead a team of software developers and be hands-on when situation requires – leading by example.
Responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Design and implement an Earth observation Data Systems Strategy;
- Design and manage a high-performance Earth observation Data Centre;
- Data management;
- Operationalisation and performance of Data Systems;
- Risk management and compliance; and
- People management.
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications, experience and skills.
Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
SANSA Africa reserves the right to not make an appointment.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities . Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Closing date: 04 August 2022
Should you meet the above requirements, please register your detailed CV and cover letter on the following link Current Opportunities (mcidirecthire.com)
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.