13 Jul Systems Engineer
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is a public entity under the National Department of Science and Innovation.
SANSA has a mandate to drive the promotion and use of space and cooperation in space-related activities. To achieve this mandate, the Agency fosters research in space science and technology, advances space engineering programmes, and supports the creation of an environment conducive to industrial development in space technologies within the framework of national government policy. More information about the organization can be found at http://www.sansa.org.za
SANSA is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining employees who are passionate about the success of the national space industry. Personal growth, which is one of our values, encourages employees to invest time in education and training through bursaries and training courses offered to them.
SANSA thrives on our employees’ creativity, competencies, and expertise, and on their ingenuity to succeed in a high performing environment. If you aspire to the SANSA values of Service, Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Personal Growth and Excellence, and living these in a fast paced and innovative environment, then SANSA could be the place for you.
The following opportunity exists in the Earth Observation Programme situated in Pretoria, Gauteng to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications and who puts the interests of the nation first, has a commercial mind-set, thinks like our customers, is knowledge driven and people centric.
Reporting to the Chief Data Systems, the successful candidate will implement, manage, and monitor earth observation systems, encompassing the design of earth observation systems architecture, ingestion, processing, archiving and dissemination of products for existing and new satellite sensors received.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Electronics or Aerospace (NQF Level 9)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Systems Engineering and technology management
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in software development and systems integration
- Relevant skills and knowledge of Amazon Web Services or equivalent cloud solution architecture.
- Experience building and maintaining big data pipelines including open data licensing, metadata, and other standards such as CEOS specifications for analysis ready data.
- Ability to epitomise positive, collaborative, and inclusive team culture.
- Experience working with scientific specialists and Earth observation data.
- Open-source software development practices.
- Ability to communicate complex systems in simpler terms with internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with infrastructure and data processing partners.
- Experience working in diverse and inclusive teams.
- Systems and software modelling tools / languages, e., UML, SysML, LML
- Standardized architecture definition and documentation approaches, e., ISO/IEC 42010, SEI Views and Beyond, DoDAF, TOGAF, etc.
- Holistic view of Business, Satellite Systems, Operations, Market, and other Ground stations
- Information Technologies, Computers and networks, internet, product delivery mechanisms
- Database Management and Storage technologies
- EO Ingest, Archive and Catalogue Systems
- EO Processing Systems, GIS
- SLA and maintenance management, risk assessment and systems analysis
- Systems requirement identification, systems specification, verification and validation, product life cycle and project management
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Architectural Design of IT Systems
- Strategic Project Management
- Client and Supplier Liaison
- Technical Expertise
- Project Engineering, Integration and Upgrade of Earth Observation
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Closing date: 26 July 2022
Should you meet the above requirements, please register your detailed CV at firstname.lastname@example.org
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.