28 Jun POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP(3-year contract position) Re-advertisement
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) has a mandate, as outlined in the South African National Space Agency Act, 2008 (Act No 36 of 2008), to co-ordinate and integrate national space science and technology programmes and conduct long-term planning and implementation of space related activities in South Africa, for the benefit of the citizens of South Africa.
SANSA has the following opportunities situated in Hermanus, Western Cape to be filled by individual(s) with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, and qualifications. Activities undertaken at the SANSA Hermanus Facility include space science research, ground-based monitoring infrastructure, operational space weather, technology development and applications.
SANSA is seeking hardworking and dynamic South African citizens to fill the following position based in Hermanus Western Cape:
POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP (3-year contract position)
The ideal candidates will have:
- A PhD obtained within the last 3 years (or will be submitting their PhD thesis for examination before July 2022)
- PhD should be in a space physics related field or is a support field to space physics (such as Computer Science, Solar Physics, Astrophysics, Physics, or Applied Mathematics)
- Preference will be given to candidates who would like to pursue solar physics research for their postdoctoral projects in areas such as solar irradiance measurements and models, satellite observations of the solar chromosphere, transient solar phenomena (i.e. space weather)
- Independent computer programming skills with a preference for IDL or Python
- The ability to work independently and as part of the team
The candidate should be:
- A South African citizen
Duties (not limited to this list):
- Research in a solar physics research related field
- Data Analysis and Modelling
- Intern mentoring
- Contract research
- Science Advancement
Projects will be tailored to individuals, depending on skills and interest, and are not limited to any specific topic mentioned, however they must fit into the space science thematic areas.
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Applicants will need to indicate their willingness to relocate to Hermanus in the Western Cape for this position.
SANSA reserves the right to not make an appointment
Should you meet the above requirements, please apply by sending your detailed CV including copy of Doctoral Thesis Abstract and PhD certificate (if already received) to Reney van der Merwe on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 12 July 2022