08 Oct English Tutor (ad hoc contract position)
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) has a mandate, as outlined in the South African National Space Agency Act, 2008 (Act No 36 of 2008), to co-ordinate and integrate national space science and technology programmes and conduct long-term planning and implementation of space related activities in South Africa, for the benefit of the citizens of South Africa.
The Space Science Programme within SANSA leads multi-disciplinary space science research and applications. Key functions include fundamental and applied space science research, the support of space facilitated science through data acquisition, the coordination and administration of scientific data, and the provision of space weather and magnetic technology products and services on a commercial and private basis. The programme also provides leadership in post-graduate student training as well as providing science advancement, public engagement, and learner and educator support with STEM subjects. The programme operates from the SANSA Hermanus Campus. SANSA has the following contract vacancy in HERMANUS, WESTERN CAPE to be filled by enthusiastic, hardworking people with the relevant skills and qualifications.
SANSA seeks to appoint an English tutor on an ad hoc basis for a period of three years. Preference will be given to a person living in Hermanus.
The ideal candidate must have:
- a formal qualification in English as well as at least 3 years teaching experience.
- He/she must be computer literate and not only see the sense in using the internet and other sources constantly, but also encourage the students to do the same, i.e. check the meaning of words.
- a sound scientific background and some editing experience
- English as home language.
Additional competencies required:
- The person needs to be structured yet flexible, i.e. should be able to change course in midstream if necessary.
- Being a-political
- a good measure of patience and the ability to motivate others.
- Perseverance- He/she should be able to carry on even if the students don’t seem to appreciate the effort
- Must be able to teach individuals and (diverse)small groups
- Must have high moral values and sound work ethics
- Keen problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Excellent verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
- Provide students with references to sources that will assist with their, listening, reading, presentation and writing skills outside of the tutorials
- Attend monthly student seminars in person or virtually
Background verification, qualification and citizenship checks, may form part of the selection process.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity, including welcoming applications from all persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Should you meet the above requirements, please apply by logging into https://jb.skillsmapafrica.com
Closing date: 21 October 2021
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.