27 Jul SCAM ALERT: FRAUDULENT REQUEST FOR QUOTATIONS (RFQ)
- Earlier this year the South African National Space Agency (SANSA) became aware of fraudulent activities that were being perpetrated by one of its staff members. Defrauded suppliers have been coming to SANSA to submit invoices for payment, only to realise that they were scammed.
- The modus operandi was to approach unsuspecting suppliers in the name of SANSA on the pretence that an existing supplier was having difficulty in delivering specific goods and services. The unsuspecting supplier would then be requested to assist, and for which purpose a fictitious Request For Quotations (RFQ) in the name of SANSA would be created to expedite the transactions.
- Upon being alerted of these unauthorised, fraudulent and unlawful activities, SANSA immediately suspended the said staff member and instituted a forensic investigation. SANSA also reported these unauthorised, fraudulent and unlawful activities to the Commercial Crimes Unit of South African Police Services and have brought a criminal case against the staff member.
- Suppliers are therefore advised to verify all the RFQ’s and orders by calling the respective departments using SANSA’s contact details listed on SANSA’s websites to verify authenticity prior to responding to any RFQs or orders to avoid falling prey to these fraudsters. All prospective suppliers / bidders are cautioned to contact SANSA when they suspect any scam as well as when fictitious purchase orders placed for goods or services and SANSA’s name is being used.
- SANSA is determined to maintain a culture of honesty and will deal decisively with theft, fraud, corruption and any unethical behaviour, and SANSA want to urge all stakeholders that if you suspect or know of any such incidents within SANSA to please report this to the Fraud Hotline on 0800 701 701.
Issued: JULY 2021