21 Apr Satellite Operations Technician
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is a public entity under the National Department of Science and Innovation (DSI).
SANSA has a mandate to drive the promotion and use of space and cooperation in space-related activities. To achieve this mandate, the Agency fosters research in space science and technology, advances space engineering programmes, and supports the creation of an environment conducive to industrial development in space technologies within the framework of national government policy. More information about the organization can be found at http://www.sansa.org.za
The following vacancy exists at SANSA Space Operations Directorate in Hartebeesthoek, to be filled by an individual with relevant skills, competencies, and qualifications.
Satellite Operations Technician
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the candidate will work with a shift team to carry out frontline Operations activities which include satellite Tracking, Telemetry and Command (TT&C), Earth-observation data acquisition operations and services. Perform routine monitoring, preventative maintenance inspections and interventions, project work and other site-related activities.
The ideal candidate will:
- Operate, maintain and /or monitor Radio Frequency (RF), electronic systems and equipment associated with satellite data acquisitions and operations.
- Undertake routine or ad-hoc Tracking, Telemetry and Command (TT&C) operations which involves the rendering of Launch, Transfer-orbit, LEOP, lifecycle drift operations, In-orbit testing, etc to various satellites and LV’s (launch vehicles),
- Interact with international clientele as/when required.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance inspections, and ad-hoc project work.
- Interpret and analyse results of tests and observations.
- Compile reports and documentation.
- Housekeeping of facility after-hours.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A three-year Diploma in Electronic Engineering or equivalent qualification.
- At least one year’s experience in RF, satellite technology, microwave and/or telecommunications.
- Currently or previously been a SANSA In-Service trainee with a completed P1 or P2.
- A good understanding of Telecommunications, RF principles and satellite applications.
- Excellent customer service skills, including telephone and email etiquette
- Computer literacy and proficiency in the English with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Willingness and ability to work shifts which sometimes include staying on-site for 7 consecutive days.
Background verification, including criminal record, medical checks, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Should you meet the above requirements, please upload your detailed CV and apply on: https://jb.skillsmapafrica.com
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful. Closing Date: 04 May 2021