18 Jan Science Engagement Officer
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is a public entity under the National Department of Science and Innovation (DSI). SANSA has a mandate to drive the promotion and use of space and cooperation in space-related activities. To achieve this mandate, the Agency fosters research in space science and technology, advances space engineering programmes, and supports the creation of an environment conducive to industrial development in space technologies within the framework of national government policy. More information about the organization can be found at https://www.sansa.org.za
SANSA is committed to attracting, developing and retaining employees who are passionate about the success of the national space industry. Personal growth, which is one of our values, encourages employees to invest time in education and training through bursaries and training courses offered to them.
SANSA thrives on our employees’ creativity, competencies and expertise, and on their ingenuity to succeed in a high performing environment. If you aspire to the SANSA values of Service, Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Personal Growth and Excellence, and living these in a fast paced and innovative environment, then SANSA could be the place for you. The following opportunity exists in the Earth Observation Programme situated in Pretoria, Gauteng to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications and who puts the interests of the nation first, has a commercial mind-set, thinks like our customers, knowledge driven and people centric.
Science Engagement Officer (Permanent)
Reporting to the Science Engagement Manager, the successful candidate will create awareness regarding the existence, benefits and value of Earth Observation and SANSA to educational institutions and students and learners. To provide support on gaining funding and grants to promote and grow the awareness of Earth Observation and SANSA.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
•Provide support to the Directorate at internal & external events through the management and coordination of materials for exhibits and manning the exhibition Advise customer services team regarding any potential data requests & sales
• Effectively represent the organisation at external events
• Create awareness of Earth Observations to attract interest through education of public
• Actively seek out opportunities for outreach and awareness on space science technology and innovation
• Set targets for increasing reach and action visits and engagements• Provide innovative solutions to reach the target audience
• Preparation for science festivals and coordination of logistics including which schools are there and plot on map to showcase imaging• Present quality training programs for target audiences
•Update and amend training materials
• Deal with queries for educational visits to schools
• Oversee and manage the roll out of the calendar of events
• Coordinate and prepare presentations and materials for events and training
• Provide feedback and demonstrations as required
• Planning and running site visits to SANSA facilities
• Target educational institutions to create awareness of space science technology
and innovation offerings Build and maintain good relations with stakeholders (clients and service providers)
•Manage an accurate and up to date stakeholder database
• Capture all schools engaged with and plot on map and determine national reach at municipal, district and provincial levels.
The ideal candidate will have:
•A post-matric qualification in Science or relevant field with a minimum of 2-3 years outreach experience
• Software knowledge, experience and competence in SAGE X3,GIS,MS Office(Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Simulation Software(WX Track),Audio/visual Software and Social Media Technology
• A valid Code 8 or 10 driving licence is required
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience of working in a technical environment
• Planning and organising skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Ability to work under pressure.
Please note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate will qualifications and experience.
Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities
. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Should you meet the above requirements, please register your detailed CV at https://jb.skillsmapafrica.com
Closing date: 29 January 2021